Thursday, March 22, 2012

Confusion and indecision along my way...

Since my last post I have had some ups and downs.  I discovered that my new diet def affects my B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia).  I have started to have to give myself shots weekly instead of bi-monthly.   I couldn't understand my scary lack of energy.  At first I thought it was the tiredness I have seen complaints of, I have been a bit drained but this was something else.  Well when my fingertips went numb my light bulb went on that my B12 was low.  Realized it was early yet I had just had a shot a week and a half before.  So I have bumped up my dosage and that seems to be helping.

I did add veggies in with some hesitation.  After a week of back and forth PP and PV days I was really starting to lose momentum.  I was cranky, miserable and feeling like I was doomed to fail.  Finally on St. Patrick's Day everything came to a boiling point, ending with me having a really bad lunch that day.  Let me tell you it was soooooo good even though it was so bad for me. I said the heck with it and enjoyed it and then hated myself.  That's it I thought - yet another diet I am doomed to fail at.  Two weeks without carbs seemed to be my limit.

I had my pity party, then hubby and I took a nice long walk and had a good talk.  We talked about my diet, my frustration, and after some great suggestions and ideas - I decided I needed to keep going despite my momentary failure.  I had to forgive myself and know there may be occasional lapses.  I did decide tho that I would do so with a few slight changes.  (Or maybe not so slight)  I have decided that although it will slow my loss I am doing veggies daily.  I get too frustrated otherwise, and I know that wont last.  I have also decided to allow one cheat meal a week (not a day - but one meal).  Yes, I understand I am combining parts of phase 2 and 3, and it is probably all wrong but for the moment it seems to be working and most importantly - something I can live with. It feels right to me where I am at now.

Anyway, that evening my Mom (who lives with us) guilted me into eating dinner out.  Really?  Are the fates against me?  Well I am proud to say I had some great plain chicken breast and some greens and veggies and enjoyed it immensely.  I was back on the wagon and and proud of it. That showed me that I could still enjoy eating out - with some slight modifications and still eat healthy and like I want to.

Sunday I had my first experience with ocular migraines, went to the optician Monday who cleared my retina, went to the GP Tuesday and as the pain is not gone; they have decided to send me for an MRI and follow up with Neurologist just to make sure there is nothing goofy going on.  Was going to have the MRI yesterday - but found out our high deductible insurance plan we just got with hubbys new job resets April 1st.  So MRI is now April 4th.  If I'm going to meet my deductible in one shot I may as well get the years benefit from it.  Frustrating but hopefully all is well and there is no concern for the wait.  Seems it's always something. I so wanted to eat everything in the world when they said they wanted me to go in and make sure it wasn't a small stroke.  Ugh!  Victory for me - I stayed true to my diet.

I am missing carbs less and less - and my whole family is eating healthier.  If I'm cooking then they are eating protein and veggies with me.  We have had some amazing weather and we are hoping to get out and hike and geocache this weekend.  Time with hubby and exercise - great combo.  All in all I am doing well and learning as I go.  I am always welcome to suggestions and comments, and want to again thank everyone who has posted thus far.  Take care!

Dawn  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have got the B12 thing figured out! That must have been a little scary. Similar thing happened to me a month or so ago, I felt really poorly - dizzy, light headed, lack of energy, sick, stomach cramps, you name it, I had it..... I was seriously considering going onto the consolidation diet. Thankfully I got it sorted by starting to take multiple vitamins / suppliments.

    Dont worry about having veggies every day as long as you are having the right ratio, plate should be 2/3rds protein, 1/3rd veg (roughly). Dukan Dietress did exactly the same thing through most of her time on Cruise aswell and look how great she did!

    What a great hubby you have! You definitely need someone like that to talk things through with, dont feel guilty or like a failure for a little lapse, it is totally counterproductive. Reassess and move on! Congrats on accomplishing this! This journey is certainly a steep learning curve, and the changes never seem to stop, they do get better though once your body has acclimatised. We are all here to support you all you need.

    Have a great weekend, enjoy some sun! Sonia xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate veggies every day and still lost the weight, the only thing that the veggies affect is retaining water which in my case (I suffered from severe dehydration) was a good thing.
    I mean, 110 lbs in 8 months... that's really quick weight loss, even though I ate veggies every single day.

    There are a lot of different levels at which people follow the Dukan Diet and it is very common for someone to include a weekly celebration meal into their phase 2 dieting. As long as you figure out what works for you!

    ReplyDelete